Sunday, March 16, 2008

For better or worse?

I have long been an advocate of council amalgamations, with one proviso, that being, amalgamation had demonstrable benefits for the people. Sad to say the events of the last few months, have caused me to doubt myself. 
Due to our state government, council amalgamation has become a hodgepodge of a system, some regional councils have wards/divisions, some don't. Both federal and state governments have electorates/wards/divisions, so why not local government?

As a result of the March 15, election we now have a mayor who has less than 50% of the electorates support! Is this democracy? Again, both federal and state elections use the preferential voting method, why should local government be any different?

Rather than uniting the people of our region, I believe this election has widened the gap between the urban and rural sectors. Based on discussions with a widely diverse group of people, I believe many voted on a strictly parochial basis, fear of being left our causing people to vote for their own.

The comments attributed to voters in a local paper are cause for concern; "I've voted already, but I can't remember who I voted for now." "No, I'm planning on just ticking the boxes as I go down the list, I'm not really interested." "No idea, I'll find out on the day and hope I pick the right ones." The Spartans, Tolpuddle Martyrs and the miners at Eureka, would be amazed at how we have allowed our rights, freedoms and democracy to be eroded. Unless we all take more interest in what all three levels of government is doing, DEMOCRACY will become a thing of legend. Even now, how many people could really describe what it is?
John A Neve

No comments: