Monday, March 10, 2008

Email Responses

Received: 10/03/2008
You've done a nice job of this site. I sympathise with your rationale for creating it totally. When I left school I was pretty keen on journalism, but baulked at the prospect of joining the ****** rag. All this online journalism has led me to believe that maybe if we all pulled together, we could get a real paper on the road....maybe
Dirk
____________________________
Unlike Craig. I'm more interested in the issues and personalities involved in the council elections next week: in the standard of candidates rather than the standard of writing. 

As a newcomer to Hervey Bay I find it very difficult to sort through the self-aggrandising claims of the candidates. People like me need some information. For current councillors, how about letting us in on who has taken what stance when matters have come before their various councils. For the rest, a glimpse of their previous political history would be helpful.

We don't want defamatory statements, just a perspective on unknown quantities. Some of us don't get out much and find it difficult to attend "Meet the Candidate" functions.

Let us know what they are not telling us, please

New Bay-ite
(email address withheld)
____________________________

Received: 10/03/2008
What next? A journalist who can actually write and knows one end of a grammar rule book from the other! 
Do you mean I shall be able to read news articles pertinent to my region without the appalling spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors with which The Chronicle and The Observer are peppered? (At least The Independent does appear to have a sub-editor.) 
Well, Bec T, if you can keep up the standard of writing as well as keep me informed on what is happening within our new regional council, you've just won yourself a reader. 
Like you, I wasn't aware that there was a "Strewth" site until its closure caused the Chronicle so much angst. If John Howard and Kevin Rudd can use up-to-date technological resources to reach potential voters, why can't our candidates for local government? 
Please keep us posted.
Craig
 (email address withheld)